Tuesday 10 December 2019

More animation with Krita.


This was based around a piece of art I had made in Krita a while back. I was looking through some of those works to finds themes or ideas that I might animate.

I will take the opportunity to again promote this incredible free software Krita, I had no idea it would be so intuitive for animation, I had previously made attempts to understand it but became confused about how applying frames worked.

However, when I wanted to sit down and really have a go, I quickly overcame that small issue and the way they have designed the animation work-space makes the laborious process of frame by frame as easy as it can be. You can just get to work and concentrate with the creative process without being caught up on technical UI issues or limitations.

You also have access to the tools and brushes you would normally use for making still images, and the layer system just adapts to any re-ordering or merging that happens as you work, any changes to the layer structure are run through the whole time lime and you don't even have to think about it.

I'm recommending this software to anyone who wants to start animating in a traditional manner without shelling out for paid apps such as Toon Boom or TVPaint.

I will design a bigger project to put it to the test, but it's hard to see why Krita would not be capable.